These days I’ve got three things on my (professional) mind: websites, content and email. As USGBC’s digital marketing manager I’m constantly thinking about what USGBC needs to share with our key stakeholders and the best ways to do that.
Here’s some background on our presence in these three areas:
- Websites: At USGBC we manage a suite of websites, all intended to reach unique audiences and promote various products and opportunities related to sustainability and green building. Our current list of websites includes: usgbc.org, gbci.org, leed.usgbc.org, peer.usgbc.org, centerforgreenschools.org, greenapple.org, studio.usgbc.org and greenhomeguide.com. In addition to the daily management of these sites, we are also continuously working on web-based projects which advance user experience based on personas, personalization, and optimization.
- Content: In addition to our web presence, we are also focused on a robust calendar of content marketing strategies. This includes the creation of relevant and valuable content with the intention of addressing the needs of target audiences and changing or enhancing consumer behavior. Our current content production includes articles, blogs, case studies, landing pages, videos, podcasts, presentations, webinars and infographics.
- Email: In addition to our website and content marketing efforts, we also actively engage and nurture leads through one-off and automated e-communications strategies.
As I go through my week it’s important for me to stay up-to-date on the most recent marketing news and trends. This helps ensure that USGBC’s digital efforts are as relevant and effective as possible.
Here are a nine sources that I visit regularly to find inspiration and learn about industry advancements. (I also follow most of these sites on Twitter to access quick and timely updates.)
- Think with Google (thinkwithgoogle.com) is the perfect site to discover trends, data insights and creative inspiration for marketers.
- Adweek (adweek.com) covers media news, including print, technology, advertising, branding and television.
- Advertising Age (adage.com) is a great source of news, intelligence and conversation for marketing and media communities.
- Mashable (mashable.com) is a leading source for news, information and resources related to digital innovation.
- The Content Marketeer (marketeer.kapost.com) is Kapost’s content marketing blog and it’s a great content marketing guide and resource.
- The Content Strategist (contently.com/strategist) is Contently’s online magazine and it’s a great resource for content marketing news and strategy.
- NewsCred’s blog (blog.newscred.com)
- For a visual pick-me-up and pure creative inspiration I also visit the following blogs: